Sunday, May 24, 2009

Our Journey to Our Family


Mike and I had been married for about a year when we decided that we were ready to start trying to have kids. This started a long and emotional, but character building journey for us. We found that we would have to take the route of infertility treatments due to some fertility health issues on my part. So we met with the good doctor and got started.

On our fourth cycle we got the exciting news that we were pregnant. You can't even imagine how excited we were. Unfortunately a little less then a week later we learned that I was having a miscarriage. After that we kept trying. This is probably one of the hardest most heart wrenching experiences I have ever gone through. It was long and hard and every cycle seemed to end in heartache and frustration. It had been just under two years of the infertility treatments when I decided that I needed a break.

Mike and I talked about taking the summer off from the infertility treatments and set some goals that we wanted to accomplish during that time. One of those things was to take a trip to Hawaii. Sounds romantic doesn't it? Well, I was just hoping that I would cycle on my own so I continued to chart my cycle. It seemed that I was going to cycle. I was just excited about that. Weird huh? I don't think there are many women who can say they were excited to start their period. I never started. And then I started feeling really awful. I called the doctor and had some blood drawn. Yes, we were pregnant!!!

Now, do you remember that romantic trip to Hawaii that we had planned? Well, I was 12 weeks pregnant and sicker then I have ever been before. I spent a large amount of time in my air conditioned room on the bed sipping ice cold water. I told Mike that he owes me a redo on that trip! :)

My pregnancy went well and now we have our sweet little Caden. He is now a very busy 4 year old preschooler. We love him and enjoy having him in our family. He makes my heart happy. He is anxious to have more kids at our house and talks about wanting a baby often.

We have been trying, through infertility treatments, to have another child. We unfortunately have not had any luck with becoming pregnant. Sometimes it is hard to understand the plan that God has for us or why things happen the way they do. I try to be patient, but the heartache is still there. This time around is different than before because I have been blessed with a special little boy. We have a strong desire to have more children in our home to raise and to love.

The topic of adoption has been on the table for quite some time. I have felt that this is the direction we should go in trying to grow our family. I am so grateful for the blessing of birth parents who have such a great love for their child and are so selfless. Our lives will, one day, be so blessed because the option to adopt is available to us.

I know that God has a plan for our family and that brings me peace. I hope and pray that as we go forward with the desire to have more children that there is someone out there whose heart will be touched and they will allow us to raise and love their very special baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Mike, Jamie, & Caden | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates